November 25, 2018
It’s a common misconception that one dentist is basically the same as the next. Oral health doctors have different levels of training and experience, and each one must choose a philosophy to guide the care they provide. A holistic dentist serving Dallas stands out from the crowd because they choose to provide services that take a patient’s overall wellbeing into account. Let’s discuss what a holistic dentist is and how you may benefit when you choose one to look after your precious smile.
What Does “Holistic” Mean?
According to one dictionary, when the word “holistic” is used with reference to medicine, it describes something that is “characterized by the treatment of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical symptoms of a disease.” In other words, a holistic care provider does more than treat the most prominent issues that are affecting a person’s health. They seek to provide therapies that address the problem at hand and that will ultimately provide the greatest long-term benefits to the patient.
How a Holistic Dentist Is Different
Most dentists are kind people who want to provide high-quality care to their patients. However, that does not make them holistic. Here are a few key differences between holistic and general dentistry:
- Restorations. A general dentist may use mercury fillings to address cavities. However, since mercury comes with some significant health risks, a holistic dentist never uses it. Rather, they employ biocompatible materials to restore teeth.
- Fluoride. Most general dentists are strong advocates of the use of fluoride. Holistic dentists often choose not to use this mineral because it provides minimal protection for teeth and can pose systemic health risks.
- Therapies to promote overall wellness. A holistic dentist has an intimate understanding of the orofacial structures, which enables them to provide therapies that address problems like sleep apnea and temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD). Some general dentists offer similar services, but they may use different technology and treatments to do so.
The Benefits of Visiting a Holistic Dentist
The primary benefit of visiting a holistic dentist is that you can be confident that your dental care provider is as interested in your overall health and wellness as they are in your teeth and gums. Other advantages include:
- Many holistic dentists only use the latest and best technology, such as digital X-rays and advanced imaging devices, in order to provide safe, minimally invasive care.
- Holistic dentists are able to provide comprehensive care. Whether you need a basic cleaning, cosmetic treatment, or major restorative work, it is unlikely that you’ll have to go elsewhere to get the services you want.
- Just like a traditional dentist, a holistic dentist will help you maximize your dental insurance benefits.
If you are looking for a new dentist, why not give a holistic practice a try? The gentle, expert care you receive may very well convince you never to visit a traditional dentist again!
About the Author
Dr. William Langston graduated from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1974. At first, he practiced traditional dentistry, but it wasn’t long before he adopted a holistic approach to oral healthcare. For decades, he has been looking after the overall health and wellbeing of his patients. If you would like to learn more about his dental philosophy, contact our office at 972-270-6533.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.